Give your Feather a sense of place, with an Ultimate GPS FeatherWing. In 2013 we designed the Ultimate GPS module to satisfy all your GPS desires - and now we have brought its power and versatility plus more to our Feather series with the Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing! This FeatherWing plugs right into your Feather board and gives it a precise, sensitive, and low-power GPS module for location identification anywhere in the world. As a bonus, the GPS can also keep track of time once it is synced with the satellites.
Works with all Feathers except for those with USB-Serial converters that use the UART pins. Right now that means the Feather 328p, ESP8266 Huzzah Feather and nRF52832 Feather don't work
It has everything you need and more:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 33 tracking of 99 channels
- Only 30mA current draw
- RTC with coin battery backup
- Built-in datalogging
- PPS (pulse per second) output on fix
- Internal patch antenna + u.FL connector for external active antenna
- Fix status LED
The Wing is built around the MTK3333 chipset, a no-nonsense, high-quality GPS+GLONASS module that can track up to 33 satellites on 99 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!), and a built-in antenna. It can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging, or tracking. Power usage is incredibly low, only 30 mA during navigation.
The MTK3333-based module has external antenna functionality. The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dB sensitivity, but when you want to have a bigger antenna, you can snap on any 3V active GPS antenna via the uFL connector. The module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over! Most GPS antennas use SMA connectors so you may want to pick up one of our uFL to SMA adapters.
We added some extra goodies to make this GPS FeatherWing better than a breakout: a FET-driven ENABLE pin so you can turn off the module using any microcontroller pin for low power use, a CR1220 coin cell holder to keep the RTC running and allow warm starts and a tiny bright red LED. The LED blinks at about 1Hz while it's searching for satellites and blinks once every 15 seconds when a fix is found to conserve power.
Comes as a fully assembled FeatherWing with a GPS module and a coin cell holder. However, the 12mm coin cell is not included - it isn't required but if you would like a battery backup, a CR1220 coin battery must be purchased separately. We also toss in some header so you can solder it in and plug it into your Feather.
- As of June 22, 2021 - The original GPS module is no longer available, so we've replaced it with a nearly-identical GPS module that has the same shape and performance. This module can now receive GLONASS as well as GPS. Some commands for querying the antenna have slightly changed and the power draw has increased.
- Satellites: 33 tracking, 99 searching
- Patch Antenna Size: 15mm x 15mm x 4mm
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters (all GPS technology has about 3m accuracy)
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- MTK3333 Operating current: 29mA tracking, 35 mA current draw during navigation
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- FCC E911 compliance and AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Multi-path detection and compensation
- Datasheets, PCB files, Fritzing objects and more available in the tutorial